On Wednesday, November 18th, Arizona Governor Ducey announced an initiative to set up COVID-19 testing locations within Arizona airport terminals. We have started discussions with the Arizona Department
of Health Services to help facilitate this free, voluntary program. At this time, nothing is in place and the only COVID-19 related requirements are outlined below.
What We're Doing
With the growing concerns of travelers, we want to ensure all passengers and airport visitors that we are proactively working to reduce the potential risk of exposure within our terminal. Our janitorial staff
have always made cleanliness of our facility a priority and will continue to complete thorough cleanings, as well as more frequent attention to heavy touch points. Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport Authority is staying
connected to state and federal partners as they monitor the virus and will update this page as changes happen. Our Stay Healthy, Fly Safe initiative includes the following safety measures:
- Thorough cleaning of high touchpoint surfaces in the terminal.
- Plexiglass barriers at the ticket counters.
- Hand sanitizer at gates and restrooms.
- Signage, floor markings, and spaced out seating to encourage social distancing.
- Airport staff are required to wear masks in the terminal.
Measures taken by the airlines and TSA:
- Allegiant and Swoop - Allegiant requires a face covering for your entire travel experience. For passengers departing Gateway Airport, this means a face covering is required from
when you enter the ticketing building through boarding the aircraft (if you don't have a face cover, complimentary masks will be provided). Swoop requires a face covering onboard the aircraft. For arriving passengers,
please know that once you enter the terminal after leaving the aircraft, Maricopa County is requiring face coverings when social distancing is not possible. Please visit the Maricopa County's
website for more information. For more information on Allegiant and Swoop's requirements and safety measures, please visit Allegiant's Going the
distance for health and safety™ webpage and Swoop's COVID-19 Information Center.
- TSA - Coronavirus information
As of now, Allegiant and Swoop continue operations while WestJet has suspended service. For any questions relating to flights, past or present, please contact your airline directly:
What You Can Do
We can all do our part to help slow the spread of COVID-19.
- Practice social distancing by maintaining at least six feet between yourself and others.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Wear a face covering.
- When picking up family and friends, park in the cell phone lot and wait until your passengers are curbside before picking them up.
- Don't enter the terminal unless your are a passenger.
For more information on COVID-19, steps you can take to prevent illness, and important updates, please visit the CDC's website or
the Maricopa County Health Department's website.
What You Need to Know
If you have an upcoming flight in or out of Gateway, please note the following:
- Allegiant requires departing passengers to wear a face covering beginning in ticketing and through the remainder of passengers' air travel experience. Complimentary face masks are available in ticketing and at the
TSA Security Checkpoint.
- Swoop requires a face covering for all passengers onboard the aircraft. Find more information at Swoop's on COVID-19 Information Center.
- Arriving passengers are required to wear a face covering when a social distance of at least six feet is not possible, per Maricopa County requirements. More information can be found on the
Maricopa County website.
- The rental car companies have modified their hours of operation. The rental car counters will open at 7:00 AM every day and close after the last arriving flight each day except Tuesday when they
close at 9:00 PM. Please make your reservation in advance.
- Transportation companies including taxi, ride share, shuttle, and sedan may have limited or suspended service. Please contact providers directly for availability, advanced reservations, and safety requirements such as face
coverings. Visit our Transportation page for a list of licensed transportation providers.
- Copper Plate Bar & Grill, O.H.S.O. Brewery, and Panera will be open for busy flight times.
- The Phoenix and Saguaro Mercantile are open. View more information on the Restaurants & Shops page.
- All parking lots are open. Visit the Parking page for lot information and a map.